Deepen your knowledge in a specialist area with STEP's Special Interest Groups' Spotlight Sessions at the Grange Hotel Tower Bridge in London, UK on On 10 December 2015.
Family Governance and Strategic Philanthropy: Can you beat the 'Midas Curse' of Failing Family Business Succession?
A high energy, practical session that will see lively debate and discussion about the limits of estate planning and when advisors should be focusing on helping their clients build a lasting legacy.
Legal, governance and philanthropy experts will be sharing their deep experience of working with business families and what they have learned about the secrets of long-term family success. Delegates will leave with practical tools to help them engage with families across generations and in complex situations.
Panellists will discuss and debate questions around:
- The 'Midas Curse'; Greek myth or reality?
- Why families neglect to develop a succession plan; the complexity of decisions and emotive issues
- Transitioning to the next generation: Values vs. valuables
- Family constitutions - insurance against family disharmony? Product or process?
- "To Give, or Not To Give?" Why family philanthropy doesn't always work
- The shift away from traditional, one-dimensional advisory relationships and estate planning, to broader focus on "Lasting Legacy Planning"
- The changing nature of motivations driving client philanthropic decisions across generations